Tuesday, December 07, 2010

My iPads-in-the-National-Portrait-Gallery idea RUINED.



 
God this pisses me off. As you know, this was my idea. I posted about it widely at least three times before these people did this. Maybe it's theoretically possible that they had the same idea on their own, but considering that we have Facebook friend[s] in common, I doubt it.

The artist's video itself was already making the rounds on Facebook and email. My idea to show it in the gallery using iPads was about getting the artist's work out to the people visiting the exhibit, in the context of the other works. It was specifically designed to completely combat the idea that taxpayer dollars were being spent to show the video, the excuse used by the "Catholic League" and that one Republican Congressman to get the Smithsonian to censor the film. The museum could allow the video to be shown and have the plausible deniability that "we have nothing to do with it."

However, these two seem more interested in getting some kind of YouTube notoriety/celebrity for themselves than they do in getting the artist's work out there. The guards explicitly ALLOWED THE VIDEO TO BE SHOWN, exactly as I had proposed -- MY IDEA WORKED!! It was because these two chose to purposely violate the rules of the Museum by giving out their own literature AND obviously videotaping the patrons that the guards intervened. THE PAMPHLETS WERE THE PROBLEM. These two seem more interested in purposely provoking a confrontation with the guards for the purpose of videotaping themselves for YouTube than they do in getting the art out there. If they were really true to my idea, there would have been no pamphlets and no videotaping, AND THE ARTIST'S WORK WOULD STILL BE BEING SHOWN IN THE GALLERY.

What pisses me off is that I was already talking to the people handling the artist's estate about organizing a group of people to do this around the clock, the entire time the exhibit was running, and they were interested in pursuing it. Now, they feel like it has already been tried and failed, even though it hasn't been done the right way. These two jumped the gun, purposely provoked the guards with their pamphlets and video camera, and have ruined it for every person who visits that exhibit. Color me pissed off. One great idea of mine [if I do say so myself!] ruined so these two can have their YouTube fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment